Sunday, December 2, 2007

Time Machine

Don't live in the past, people say.
What's done is done, people say.
Everything works out in the end, people say.

Society is in a constant state of progression...albeit in some areas more than others...but that's the way we've programmed ourselves. We're constantly looking for the next best thing whether it be material or superficial or technological. Was there ever a time when people thought "I like this place in time just the way it is"? How many people dwell on the past and how many people wonder about the future? If you were to survey every adult in the world and ask them this question, where would the majority lie? In the past or the future? Or maybe just in the moment?

We've all had times in our lives when things were going just right. Not exactly perfect, no one can honestly say they've experienced perfection, but that almost every aspect of our life all synched up pretty closely. Job was secure and paying well...family is healthy...love life promising...

Maybe not those exact things, but to a varying degree, I'd like to think many of us have had the opportunity to experience bliss. Not a care in the world to be had.

What would you give to go back to that point in time, if just for 5 minutes?

I know I'd like to go back in time and see a point in my life when my mother was truly happy.
She has done so much for everyone else besides herself for far too long. She has made endless trips to Santa Barbara every month to make sure my grandparents are taken care of, calling them every night just to see how they're doing. Sure she does it out of love, but she shouldn't have to carry the majority of the weight on her shoulders any longer.
Helping to raise two fraternal twins, I'm sure, wasn't the easiest job in the world either, far from it, but what if we were never in the picture to begin with? What would her life have been like? I wonder if she has ever thought about that.
Honestly, she still has so much to live for, but it shouldn't be spent worrying about other people. She has toiled for years trying to ensure she raised her boys the best she could, and she has done a fine job, may I say. But now that we are full-grown, her job still isn't over.

I'm amazed at the will-power and determination my Mom has every single day not only to still work full-time, but spend her days off on the road traveling to take care of my grandparents. I know her resiliency has been passed down to my brother and I, but I don't ever think I could ever compare myself to her in that respect. She is a one-of-a-kind woman, a selfless human being who always puts others before herself.

Time machine...take me back to the time when my mother's life wasn't what it is. When she was able to enjoy the bliss of life, and have time for herself to do what she's always wanted.

We all have a time machine...you just need to figure out how to operate it. Our blessings in the past can still be our blessings in the present or future.

I will continue this thought in my next post. Until then...

C

No comments: