Sunday, December 23, 2007

First Bite

I have some good news to share with all of you. For the past 4 months, on and off, I've been applying to television stations around the country looking for my first, what I'm considering, real job. Well this past Thursday I got my first interview request from a television station in Redding, CA.

I've been working for the past year and a half as both a production assistant (teleprompter operator) and a weekend news writer at KNTV/NBC11 in San Jose. It's been a great experience working with some of the most talented journalists in the Bay Area, but sticking around here waiting for my "big break" isn't what I want to do.

I applied for the full-time morning anchor/reporter position at KRCR (ABC affiliate) ... about 4-5 hours north of San Jose.

Most likely the interview will be this upcoming Thursday, December 27th, barring any extraneous delays/circumstances. I have an idea of what to expect, but not really.
Supposedly I'm going to be doing some test-runs in front of the camera with one of the station's meteorologists. I'm guessing just to see if I have the chops for the anchor job, which makes sense. Most of the news team, I was told, is around my age. That should make the transition, if I end up getting the job, a bit easier (I hope).

I'm also going to be taking a writing test while I'm there and should be sitting down with the boss again for another Q/A session.

Honestly, I feel pretty confident I can do the job, but I always have my doubts. I just don't want my nerves to get the best of me. When it comes right down to it, I think I'll be alright, but I'm not going to go into this interview unprepared. I have some work to do the next couple of days, primarily just brushing off my speaking voice and being comfortable in front of the camera. Just keep it loose, keep it fun, and make the most of it.

I'll keep you guys posted.

C

No comments: