Thursday, September 6, 2007

Yakima

Most of you who will actually read this know I'm trying to find a reporting job somewhere in this country. I've begun my search and have already started the whole application/resume tape process.

Just yesterday, I sent my third tape (actually a DVD) to a tv station in Yakima, Washington. Why there you ask? Most stations I've found require at least 2-3 years in a particular sized market. Market size just has to do with how many people live in your particular area.

Example: The Bay Area-Big Market
Fresno-Not So Big

Anyways, after looking at the job description, I got really excited because this might be a good opportunity for me. Although it is quite far away from home, it would be nice to have a change in scenery. Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not the only one applying.

I've applied to two stations in California so far as well, one in Bakersfield and one in San Luis Obispo. I haven't heard anything back from them yet, but I will email and call them back soon. Maybe they have some constructive criticism for me, at least something. Most likely they'll probably say: "Thanks for applying, but as the job description CLEARLY says, you need to have at least 3 three years in a medium-size market, which you CLEARLY do not have."

Even if that is the case, it would be nice to know they at least looked at my application (resume/cover letter/DVD).

So far I've really only explored the west coast, and I know I need to send out a bunch more tapes. Hopefully somebody will give me a chance. I'll keep you posted.

Colin

No comments: